Heath Park Film and Media Studies

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Heath Park Film and Media Studies

A student forum to talk about the Film Media courses we run at Heath Park

2 posters

Football Factory

MichaelMoses
    MichaelMoses

Football Factory Empty Football Factory

Post  MichaelMoses Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:04 am

Football Factory (2004) follows the story of Tommy Johnson, a mid-20’s cockney caught up in the hooligan craze; the story shows the experiences his goes through whilst with his football firm and mainly the build up and rival fight against Millwall. Ultimately re-evaluating his life and questioning his morals, he loves his weekend thrill but knows that he can’t possibly fight forever.
    The film is based around the firm ‘Headhunters’ who support Chelsea F.C. and their rival gang the ‘Bushwackers’ who represent Millwall F.C. The film also features firms from other clubs around the country such as Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool and Stoke city. Whilst on a night out with his best mate Rod, they meet two women in a bar. After persuading them to go to the girls place, they jump in a taxi only to fall asleep from binge drinking and the drugs they’d taken previously that night. Tommy wakes up in the woman’s house to be faced by her psychotic brother with a knife to his throat. Saved by Rod, by hitting the aggressive brother ‘round the canister’ as so nicely put by Tommy himself. Not to their knowledge, the guy they knocked out was also the rival firms (millwall) little brother, once the smoke cleared millwall now had a personal vendetta against Tommy’s firm. After a lot of anticipation the clubs finally meet in the FA cup draw, Tommy goes against his gut feeling and follows his firm to meet his rivals. Finally ending with him getting beaten to a pulp by a group of rivals under a bridge before getting broken up by the police. The last scene was Tommy walking through London with his voice over questioning whether it was right to continue his mindless adrenaline addiction thus ending it with the famous quote: Was it all worth it? ‘Course it F**king was!

I like this film because there are not many British films that show what life in London is really like. I prefer this film to other films of its type (green street hooligans) as it portrays a lot more realism compared to its counterparts. The movie describes what its like to be a young not so successful man with a dead end job inevitably getting caught up in the drink, drugs and sex craze. The film itself was a rather small budgeting film with a budget of only £500,000. And wasn’t the biggest success in the box office only making £607,000 in the first month. Again it didn’t go down too well with the critics either, getting just an average rating all round, IMDB gave it a 6.8 which isn’t too bad. Because of the low budget there wasn’t much when it came to marketing either, which was probably why it didn’t do too well in the cinema.
    Overall though I think because it wasn’t such a big block buster success, that’s what made it even more British. This has similarities with Tommy Johnson, just an average film, nothing more nothing less.
    Mr Fletcher
    Mr Fletcher
    Admin

Football Factory Empty Re: Football Factory

Post  Mr Fletcher Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:12 am

Have you read it? There are bits of the book which I think are really good and interesting (there's a chapter called 'Doing A Runner' about a Saturday night out which is fantastic if a bit grim - it's written as stream of consciousness, the thoughts flying out of the narrator's head as he goes through the evening).

Can you compare the way this was marketed with the way Green Street (for example) was marketed? Or 'ID' which is a bit older but about similar things - and there's a recent hooliganism movie too to compare it with.
    MichaelMoses
    MichaelMoses

Post  MichaelMoses Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:32 am

I haven't read the book, but want to get round to it as i thought the film was very enjoyable and can only guess the book has parts that the film has missed out.

I think that green street was marketed as a more hollywood block buster type of film, with an american actor as the main character. Everything was more ecentuated more than it actually is. I didn't think the realism was as detailed as in football factory. Using Danny Dyer as the main character increased its hype dramatically as he fit into the role perfectly, he usually portray a sort of cockney gangster so once the public saw he had the lead role, they knew what to expect. I've never seen I.D. so i couldn't really talk about how it was marketing but i have seen Cass which is also a hooligan film but also tackles the racism within the football firm groups also.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:15 pm